Skip to main content

A Vat Full of Wait - Bishop TD Jakes

Day four Turn Pressures into Power by Bishop TD Jakes

YouVersion Bible app

Some years after I finally accepted my calling, I remember pleading with God to allow me to preach. It was one thing to not even want the calling in the first place. But to be called and then be forced to sit in the background and listen to people speak from books of the Bible they couldn’t even properly pronounce was the most aggravating experience of my life. It was during my inner court period that the Lord was developing my gift. I would be in the shower, preaching to bars of soap and washrags. I would be walking through the woods of West Virginia, laying hands on trees. All of this might sound comical to you, but I now see these moments as part of a season of fermentation. 

I spent years cleaning out the baptismal pool and leading devotional services before worship began, wondering when it would be my time to stand and proclaim the infallible Word of God. My heart would ache because I knew I had something to offer. Like the disciples, my heart was rent because the process didn’t happen like I wanted. 

But waiting was far more beneficial because the Lord was working on something marvelous in a secret place. He was working on my character. He was working on my heart. He was working on my nervousness. He was working on my motives. He was working on my wisdom. He was working on me, boiling off every single impurity because there was no way God was going to present to the world an unrefined, unfermented underdeveloped product. 

When it comes to winemaking, the fermentation stage is nothing more than a waiting area for the grapes. They have already been crushed, and now the grapes find themselves in an aspect of the process where there is no pain, so to speak. It’s in that transitory moment of waiting that God is preparing you for the next step. Destruction comes swiftly on the heels of moving too soon. After crushing us, God exercises His grace by allowing us to ferment in the supposed stillness of transition so that we might be ready for the next stage. 
Matthew 9:16-17

Popular posts from this blog

The Gateway to All Understanding

The tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao The name that can be named is not the eternal Name. The unnamable is the eternally real. Naming is the origin of all particular things. Free from desire, you realize the mystery. Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations. Yet mystery and manifestations arise from the same source. This source is called darkness. Darkness within darkness. The gateway to all understanding. Tao The Ching Chapter 1

Entitlement

People say our young generation is entitled, it is a good topic to joke about for the stand-up comedians. Entitled is believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment. I believe this is not owned by the young generation only, every generation has it, every one of us has it to some degree. This is a problem we have in society in any age, in any countries in this world. I remember when I was a kid, at night during the hot season our house was filled with mosquitos, and dengue fever are quite common in our country.  I can't remember whether I and my sister ever whined about it but I always remember the fact that my mother often stayed up late holding the insects killer racket just to defended us from the mosquitoes. However, My entitlement behaviour took the bad on me, I thought she ought to do that one because she is our mother, it's her duties to protect us. I did not really care how many hours she has spent at our room every night, or whethe...

Inorganic

The Tao is infinite, eternal. Why is it eternal? It was never born; thus it can never die. Why is it infinite? It has no desires for itself; thus it is present for all beings. The Master stays behind; that is why she is ahead. She is detached from all things; that is why she is one with them. Because she has let go of herself, she is perfectly fulfilled. Tao The Ching Chapter 7